What Happens If You Get an Out-of-State DUI?

What Happens If You Get an Out-of-State DUI?

Vacations are a time to kick back and have fun—especially if you’re visiting somewhere out of state. For many people, a night out includes plenty of good food and drinks, but things can get difficult if you don’t drink responsibly. While you may know the DUI laws in your own state, things can get a little more complicated when you’re pulled over elsewhere. Here’s what happens if you get an out-of-state DUI.

What Happens in the State of the Arrest?

After you’re pulled over for driving under the influence, the arresting officer will report the incident to that state’s Department of Motor Vehicles. Your license will be temporarily suspended in that state as the case goes to court or you request a hearing to appeal the charges. If you lose or fail to attend a hearing, the suspension becomes final; you’ll have to face that state’s consequences in order to reinstate your license.

What Happens in Your Home State?

The state of the arrest will notify your state when you’re convicted of a DUI or DWI. Your home state can uphold the other state’s consequences or enforce their own requirements—often, you’ll have to face whichever laws are more severe. The arresting state will also report your suspended license to the National Driver Registry, which means you won’t be able to reinstate your license in any state until you’ve met your requirements.

Possible Consequences

Apart from having your license suspended, there are many possible consequences of a DUI or DWI conviction. You might have to pay court fines or a reinstatement fee when you’re allowed to get your license back. If you don’t meet any additional requirements put forth by the court or state—such as fines or DUI safety education programs—your license can remain suspended indefinitely. Some states even require jail time after a DUI. There are long-term consequences as well. After a DUI conviction, your auto insurance rates might increase, as you’re now a high-risk driver. The court or state might also require you to file for SR22 insurance. For example, you may need help securing SR22 insurance in Las Vegas. If you need SR22 insurance, talk to Serenity Group today—we can help.