What Happens If You Get an Out-of-State DUI

What Happens If You Get an Out-of-State DUI

The Driver’s License Agreement, often known as the interstate compact, requires member states to submit all traffic offences to one another on a national database. This means that if you’re charged with or convicted of a DUI outside of your home state, the charge or conviction will be recorded in the national database. Here is what happens and everything to know if you get an out-of-state DUI.

DUI Transferal

DUI penalties are likely to be carried over from state to state. If you receive a DUI sentence in one state, a new state will not offer you a new license until the penalties on your previous license have been satisfied. While this isn’t a literal carrying over of a DUI penalty (since the penalty or revocation is on your current state license), it is an effective penalty carryover because any restrictions placed on you will continue to affect you until they are lifted. However, five states are not members of the interstate agreement, and those five states do not have access to your driving record in the same way that the other 45 states do.

Out-of-State DUI License Suspension

If you were convicted of an out-of-state DUI and your driver’s license was suspended, you will very certainly face a similar sentence in your home state. The likelihood of a similar punishment is due to your home state having access to the recorded DUI via the national database and the Driver’s License Compact, not because the suspension you received out-of-state automatically applies to your home state.

Moving To Another State

It can be difficult to move to another state if you are currently on probation for a DUI charge. The Interstate Compact for Adult Offender Supervision (ICAOS), a piece of legislation that governs how states must handle the transfer of offenders from one state to another, is the source of this problem. If you want to move to a new state while on probation for a DUI, you’ll need to contact both your state’s parole/probation board and the board in the new state.

We hope this article has helped you understand what happens if you get an out-of-state DUI. Even if the state you’re moving from or to isn’t part of the interstate compact, a DUI in one state will usually harm you in another. When dealing with the legal repercussions of a DUI accusation or conviction, it is always a good idea to retain the services of an experienced attorney and insurance provider who can guide you through the DUI process. If you are looking to purchase cheap SR22 car insurance in California, be sure to reach out to Serenity Group!