How Does FR44 Insurance Differ From SR22 Insurance
If you have been recently convicted of driving while intoxicated and live in Virginia or Florida, you probably know about SR22 and FR44. While extremely similar in what they accomplish, both policies differ because they address different areas of liability. Here is how FR44 insurance differs from SR22 insurance.
What Is FR44 Insurance?
FR44 insurance is special liability insurance that is sometimes also called DUI insurance. As the name may suggest, this is a type of certificate verifying that the insurance coverage meets the state’s financial baseline to be considered financially responsible. In most situations, your auto insurance company will take action for filing the certificate with the DMV of your state. FR44 is required in situations where a driver has been convicted of:
– Maiming another pedestrian or driver while under the influence
– Driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol
– Driving while in possession of a forfeited license due to conviction
– Violation of federal, state, or local laws similar to the ones listed above
What Is SR22 Insurance?
SR22 (also referred to as a certificate of financial responsibility) is a document that proves that you meet your state’s minimum liability coverage for financial responsibility. The big point to note with SR22 insurance is that it is required for many different offenses. These can include:
– If you have been convicted of a DUI offense
– Your driver’s license gets suspended
– You have failed to maintain auto insurance in the past
– You have committed serious driving violations
– You have failed to pay for child support
When Is Each Required?
While SR22s may be required alongside FR44s in some cases, the inverse is not necessarily true. This is because SR22 covers the minimum liability insurance required after your license has been revoked. On the other hand, FR44 insurance specifically regains the ability to drive after being convicted for driving under the influence.
If you are looking to purchase FR44 auto insurance, contact Serenity Group. We have a helpful staff and a vast amount of educational resources to help you get a hold of your situation. We know that the areas surrounding how FR44 insurance differs from SR22 insurance can be quite confusing, so we hope that this guide was helpful.