Cheap SR22 Insurance in OH
OH SR22 Requirements
It is against the law in the state of Ohio for a driver to operate a vehicle with a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of .08 or higher. In Ohio a DUI is called Operating a Vehicle Intoxicated (OVI). The OVI law in Ohio includes alcohol, or drugs or both.
Penalties for a first time OVI offense in the state of Ohio are as follows:
- 72 hours to 6 months in jail, or a Driver Intervention Program for 3 days
- 6 days in jail if the BAC is .17 or above
- License suspension for 90 days up to 3 years
- A reinstatement fee of $450
- Fines from $250 to $1000
- A special form, SR-22, may be required from the BMV to be filed with the insurance policy
The SR-22 in Ohio is required for a minimum of 36 consecutive months. The judge will determine the period during sentencing based on the severity of the crime. As an example, if your driver’s license is suspended for five years due to a DUI or some other serious violation, then the judge can require you to carry the SR-22 for five years as well.
Failure to keep your car insurance policy active when you have an SR-22 is a serious problem. If your policy has a lapse in coverage due to failure to make the payment, or for any other reason, will cause the SR-22 filing period to start over from the beginning. This could mean a minimum of another three years having the SR-22 filed with your insurance policy.
An SR-22 shows the Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) that you have at least the state minimum coverage for liability insurance. Most insurance companies file the SR22 with the BMV electronically.
The minimum required liability insurance coverage is as follows:
- $12,500 for Bodily Injury Liability per person injured in one accident
- $25,000 for Bodily Injury Liability for all persons in one accident
- $ 7,500 for Property Damage Liability for destruction of property
- $25,000 for Bodily Injury Liability per person injured in one accident
- $50,000 for Bodily Injury Liability for all persons in one accident
- $ 25,000 for Property Damage Liability for destruction of property
The information contained in the above article is intended as informational and does not constitute legal or insurance advice. Insurance requirements in the state of Ohio are subject to change. Visit the Ohio Department of Insurance at http://www.insurance.ohio.gov/ or the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles at http://www.bmv.ohio.gov/ for current information.
Have you had a DUI, DWI, or other driving offense that required form SR 22 insurance filing or are you getting car insurance for the first time? Serenity Insurance can help – we offer car insurance in 47 states for both preferred and high risk drivers. Call us toll free today at 1-800-774-0520 or use our car insurance quote form.